NWYBL: Good competition, great sportsmanship.
Statement of Purpose
The Northwest Youth Basketball League has been established to provide youth in Whatcom County with a fun, recreational basketball playing opportunity during the winter months. The focus is on youth in grades 8-12 who are invited to submit a team led by a responsible coach. The league is structured with multiple divisions to give players of different ages and skill levels a positive, competitive playing experience.
In order to realize our vision, the league has the following values:
- Great sportsmanship: We are a recreational league and we wish to see all our players, regardless of skill, have an enjoyable experience. We can contribute to a positive sports environment by demonstrating:
- love – for teammates, in self-sacrificial play (for the team’s sake)
- joy – of playing, and exulting in the body God gave us
- peace – even in the midst of struggle
- patience – in sitting the bench, or working on your shot
- kindness – in thinking of opponents, not as enemies, but as fellow image bearers of God (Genesis 1:26-27)
- goodness – in striving for excellence
- faithfulness – in being at each game and each practice, on time
- gentleness – in understanding the difference between competitive and combative
- self-control – in being a good sport even when your team is down (or way up) and even when an obvious foul call is missed
- Good competition: Every player likes to be challenged in order to develop their skills and talents. We would like to provide healthy competition that allows every player to contribute to their team.
- Beautiful basketball: Basketball can be beautiful in many respects, whether that is crisp teamwork (good passing, accurate shooting, hard effort), or generous sportsmanship.
- Community: Fostering relationships through sports is a way to strengthen community. Our league will foster community in a spirit of love and respect.